Monday, April 7, 2008

Code Puttering

“Blah,” as Toad might say.

I started puttering yesterday in my ThiefRL code to get back up to speed on it. I'm trying to decide how best to organize sound propagation. There's a “push” model, where the sound emitter broadcasts to nearby listeners, and a “pull” model where listeners search for nearby sound emitters. I think the broadcast model might be more efficient. Either way I'd like to hide that detail as much as possible from the AI code.

In general the programming languages I'm familiar with don't do a good job of supporting abstractions of this sort. Another sort of abstraction that isn't well-supported is deciding how to link related data: whether to embed it together in the same structure, or to use a map (dictionary) to connect them more loosely.

No comments: